Saturday, August 6, 2011

I'm not sure how much more I can take.

This is my official plea to the Cincinnati Reds to please hire someone to check TB's "facts." I'm seriously considering quitting the blog because I can't stand listening to him. The Reds are playing the Cubs this weekend and I really think that TB is at his worst when the Cubs are playing. Am I more sensitive to the Cubs? Sure, but they are also the team I know the most about, so his "facts" about the Cubs (or the Reds when they are playing the Cubs) really get to me. Sometimes, I truly think TB is watching a different game than the one he is calling.

Big Z is on the mound today for the Cubs. After he walks Votto and Phillips in the first, Z stands on the mound and stares at Soto. He is saying nothing and doing nothing but prepping for the next pitch. TB says, "Zambrano looks like a bull loading up on steam." Sure, Z has had some temper issues in the past, but how does a guy standing on the mound doing absolutely nothing constitute a "bull loading up on steam?" Let's talk about a bull ... Cueto gives up a homer to Z in the 3rd. As Z is trotting around the bases, Cueto is pacing and yelling into his glove. TB says nothing about this. I guess pacing and yelling is calm in Cincinnati ... I'll remember this the next time I head to Kroger.

Earlier in the broadcast, TB says that Cueto's 1.88 ERA is the lowest in the majors. Shockingly, TB is incorrect. Jared Weaver's ERA is currently 1.78. After Cueto is chased in the 4th (he did have a 12.27 ERA today), TB says, "In his 16 starts this year, no one has pitched better than Johnny Cueto." You know me, I'm going to check the stats to see if he's right. I looked at the first 16 starts of some other pitchers in the league. When you compare Cueto's 16 starts to the first 16 of guys like Halladay, Weaver, Verlander, Beckett, Jurjjens, A. Sanchez, Sabathia, Price, Hamels, Garcia, Kennedy and Cain, Cueto's stats are not as good. Sure his ERA of 1.88 is good, but after 16 games, Weaver's was 1.65.  All of the other pitchers also pitched more innings during their first 16 starts, had less walks, more strikeouts and better overall records in those 16 starts. Cueto plays for the Reds, therefore he is the best (no matter what the stats say).

While discussing the Reds schedule for the rest of the month, TB says, "The Reds won't play a team with a winning record." Two things:  One - The Reds don't have a winning record. Two - The Reds play the Phillies at the end of the month. I believe the best record in all of baseball at 73-39 constitutes playing a team with a winning record. 

This is another thing I don't get - the Reds commit 3 errors in today's game. The Cubs commit 0, yet TB finds it necessary to discuss all of the errors Castro has committed at short. Just goes to show you (once again) that he just can't acknowledge the Reds aren't the best. Here's an interesting fact for TB, the Reds are now closer to 5th place in the division than they are to 2nd!

Nice win today Cubbies! Let's go for the sweep tomorrow and make it 8 in a row!

No comments:

Post a Comment